Dwight School's Athletic Department believes that sports and fitness can be important elements of a student’s individual "spark of genius" and stresses the importance of goal setting, improvement, and the development of character. Ultimately, we believe that the building of character is the essence of the educational experience. Through sacrifice and effort, our student-athletes struggle, fail, succeed, and try again - always having fun in a nurturing but competitive environment designed with the goal of producing young people of great character.
The pursuit of team and individual excellence plays a major role for our student-athletes. Our outstanding coaches work to improve individual and team performance and to promote character, leadership, and sportsmanship. At Dwight, we have a rich tradition of excellence and success in athletics, and this tradition continues today:
- In 2011, Dwight won the first PSAA cross-country championship in the history of the School and placed seventh in the state
- In basketball, our boys and girls teams have won a combined eight conference titles in the last decade
- In 2008, our boys’ soccer team won their conference championship
- Our baseball team won their conference championship in 2009
- In 2011 our middle school boys’ soccer team had an undefeated season, winning their conference title
- In 2010, two Dwight fencers represented the United States at the World Championships in Azerbaijan; one of those fencers took the bronze medal in men’s foil
- In 2012, a Dwight fencer was named to the 2012 Olympic Team and competed in the London Games
While winning championships produces a wonderful thrill and a well-deserved sense of pride, these championships are not ultimately how we measure success. In fact, we believe that success is the journey and the pursuit to give one's best, along with the relationships formed within our diverse community, that leave the strongest impact on our students. The value of discipline and perseverance, the importance of winning and losing with grace and humility, and the power of teamwork are just some of the life lessons learned from the athletic experience at Dwight. Click here to view the Core Values of a Dwight Athlete.