We are proud to put our Lion paws together for Dwight students who received 2021 New York City Scholastic Art & Writing Competition Awards!
Launched in 1923, these awards — the longest-running, most prestigious recognition program for creative teens in the U.S. — celebrate the vision, ingenuity, and talent of our nation’s youth. Dwight students with artistic sparks join a long list of illustrious winners, which includes Andy Warhol, Sylvia Plath, Richard Avedon, Joyce Carol Oates, John Updike, Red Grooms, Ken Burns, Amanda Gorman — and Truman Capote, 1943 Franklin alumnus — to name just a few.
Each year, previous winners join leaders in the visual and literary arts to judge submissions by students in grades 7-12 in 28 different categories, “looking for works that best exemplify originality, technical skill, and the emergence of a personal voice or vision.”
Ten Dwight students who participated in the ultra-competitive program, which included over 10,000 submissions this year, are on the roster of winners; two of them — Annabel Lieblich ’22 and Jake Silber ’22 — received awards for the second year in a row.
Congratulations to all awardees!
Writing Award Recipients
- Anoushna Bardhan ’22: Silver Key, Personal Essay/Memoir and Honorable Mention, Science Fiction/Fantasy
- Ava Goldfarb ’21: Honorable Mention, Novel Writing
- Annabel Lieblich ’22: Silver Key, Personal Essay/Memoir
- Sarp Sevil ’23: Gold Key, Personal Essay/Memoir
- Samantha Strauss ’22: Honorable Mention, Science Fiction/Fantasy
To read some of the winning pieces, click here.
Art Award Recipients
- Leia Immanuel ’22: Honorable Mention, Painting
- William Lu ’21: Gold Key, Drawing and Illustration
- Jake Silber ’22: Gold Key, Photography; Silver Key, Digital Art; and Two Honorable Mentions, Photography
- Samantha Strauss ’22: Honorable Mention, Printmaking
- Elizabeth Tatishev ’21: Silver Key, Sculpture
Please see our students' outstanding artworks below.
We wish our Gold Key recipients — William, Jake, and Sarp — the best of luck, as they advance to the national level of this competition!