The Dwight Difference
How is Dwight Different Than Other Private Schools in New York City?
Founded in 1872, Dwight School is an internationally renowned independent school (nursery-grade 12) committed to educating the next generation of innovative global leaders — one student at a time. Providing a personalized experience for each student through the academically rigorous International Baccalaureate (IB) curriculum, Dwight is dedicated to “igniting the spark of genius” in every child. Dwight School has been recognized by the IB organization as a world leader in international education.
What sets us apart?
- No two students are alike — and no two student journeys at Dwight are the same
- Dwight customizes an educational path for every student based on interests and talents
- Dwight’s student-teacher ratio is among the lowest for New York City independent schools
- Dwight is a close-knit, diverse community in which every student is empowered to make a difference
- Established mentorship programs create bonds between older and younger students inside and outside the classroom
- Dwight’s community partnership in East Harlem created the Dwight School Athletic Center
- Dwight is the flagship campus of The Dwight Schools, a global network of IB World Schools in London, Seoul, Shanghai, and Dubai
- Dwight students participate in exchange programs, curricular and creative collaborations, online programs, international athletic competitions, and global leadership conferences
- Dwight is the first school in the Americas to offer the comprehensive IB curriculum for students ages 3-19
- The IB educates students to be globally minded critical thinkers and global leaders
- The IB is the “gold standard” in pre-university preparation
- Student innovation and creativity are nurtured across campus. Spark Tank, Dwight’s incubator teaches K-12 students entrepreneurial, innovation, and leadership skills beyond the classroom. Students can apply for grants to develop and take their novel ideas and inventions with real-world application into the marketplace.
- Our 1:1 iPad/laptop program for students begins in fourth grade and ensures access to the latest technologies for learning
- In Dwight's MakerSpace, students craft and invent, reflecting their own passions
- Our state-of-the-art rooftop pavilions, which include an open observatory, are designed to be flexible learning and studio spaces in which students can explore, create, and let their imaginations soar