Academic Requirements for the Dwight School Diploma
In accordance with our charter from the Regents of the State of New York and the New York State Education Department, Dwight graduates students based on the following requirements. The requirements of Dwight School are to be completed over a four-year period (grades 9 through 12). The senior year must be in residence. All students must meet the following requirements and electives to equal 25 credits:
- English: 4 credits
- Social Studies: 4 credits
- Science: 4 credits
- Mathematics: 4 credits
- Foreign Language: 3 credits
- Physical Education & Health: 2 credits
- Electives: 2 credits
- Arts: 1 credit
- Design: 1 credit
This represents minimal requirements. In reality, the majority of Dwight students obtain larger numbers of credits, particularly if following the full IB Diploma Program.
Academic Requirements for the International Baccalaureate Diploma
To be eligible to receive the IB Diploma, students must:
- Complete 6 IB subjects, 3 at a standard level and 3 at a higher level
- Complete the IB Core which consists of Creativity Activity and Service (CAS), Extended Essay (EE), and Theory of Knowledge (TOK).
- IB courses are marked on a scale from 1-7 while the EE and TOK are marked from A-E. Students can obtain a total of 42 points from their IB subjects as well as an additional 3 bonus points from work on TOK and EE.
To obtain the IB Diploma, students must:
- Score a minimum of 24 total points
- Score at least a total of 12 points on HL subjects
- Score at least a total of 9 points on SL subjects
- Fulfill all CAS requirements
- Fulfill all requirements for TOK and EE