How to Pick the Best Online High School Program
November 8, 2021
Interest in online high schools has reached an all-time high, with a surge upward worldwide and within the United States.
Apart from word-of-mouth and internet searches, what steps and considerations should families take when researching online high schools?
How can students and parents find the best online high school that will meet their needs?
Read on for important tips on successfully selecting an online high school program.
Accreditation also ensures that student high school credits will be accepted at colleges and universities worldwide.
Exceptional online high school programs will also provide:
- customized, flexible scheduling
- responsive and experienced expert online teachers
- live class experiences
- a variety of college preparatory curriculum offerings, including Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate
- experienced college counseling
- a strong school community
- a wide array of clubs and extracurricular activities
- a global view
- integrated residential and in-person opportunities
Dwight’s global network includes brick and mortar school campuses in:
- New York City
Recently ranked #2 Online High School in America by Newsweek, Dwight Global Online School offers the reputation, flexibility, academic standards, and strong school community families seek.
At Dwight Global, students can align their academic paths with the International Baccalaureate, the Advanced Placement, or their own individualized Dwight Global course of study. Being able to choose across standards is personalized learning at its best.
Students graduating from the accredited Dwight Global Online School receive the Dwight Global Diploma, a full United States high school diploma that meets the exacting standards of Dwight School.
Supportive Online Environment
The best online high schools encourage engaging independent and collaborative study while simultaneously providing guidance and counseling for each student. To ensure a quality education, look for an online program that is supportive and tailored to the individual student.
- Are the classes being offered in virtual, live seminars where students participate as a group and gain skills in communication and collaboration?
- Are a wide variety of after-school activities offered to students?
- Are class times flexible to meet student needs?
Strong Teacher-Student Relationships
The best online high schools are focused on strong teacher-student relationships, and support those relationships in a variety of ways. Teachers and students have the time and opportunity to get to know each other well. When selecting an online high school, families will want to explore the following:
- Are teachers highly experienced, with online teaching skills and background?
- Are teachers supportive and attentive to the unique needs of each student?
- Are teachers readily available to answer questions and discuss complex topics?
Families would be wise to consider the reputation of potential high school online programs. Dwight Global is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, the Council of International Schools, and the Athlete-Friendly Education Center.
Dwight Global’s rich legacy of learning dates back to 1872 – long before virtual learning was an option. The school’s founding father and namesake, Timothy Dwight V, was a former president of Yale University. Since then, the New York-based school has prepared students for admission to prestigious colleges and universities.
Student Passions Explored and Nurtured
Look for a challenging program that supports a well-rounded education and fosters an expansive view of the world, allowing students the best chance to discover their passions.
Does your student love science? Look for a school with a solid science program. Do you have a history buff? Take note of the number – and variety – of courses offered.
- Are online seminars available with rich, live interaction between teachers and classmates?
- Do students and teachers have solid relationships that nurture learning in the classroom and in one-on-one tutorials?
- Are there numerous opportunities for students to meet in person at an affiliated brick and mortar school?
- Can students join trips and extracurriculars to supplement their classroom learning?
Reach Out to Responsive School Leadership
After considering an online program’s environment, reputation, and curriculum, reach out to the school to get even more information and to speak with the staff.